Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Titanium

This post is more motivational in the sense that I hope that at some point you can use this to inspire yourself or others.

It starts like this... My wife Michelle and I were watching this cheesy movie, Pitch Perfect, it has it's moments of comedy mostly from Rebel Wilson (Fat Amy), but something you will come to learn about me is that I love music, and this movie captured my attention with it. The scene specifically is the shower scene at the beginning of the movie. I know what you are thinking of course the shower scene with the two girls captures your attention, well yeah it helped, but more so it was the song Titanium that the main character Beca was singing with Chole. The arrangement and the acoustic aspect of how it was sang sparked me to you tube others singing it. I stumbled across a performance by a girl who made it so simplistic that it allowed me to focus solely on the lyrics. 

Check it out for yourself


 Growing up in Memphis where live music is so prevalent I guess that's where I picked up my fancy (oh you Fancy huh? Drake voice inserted) for live music especially acoustic arrangements. This adaptation of David Guetta's song was as close to musical perfection as I have seen on the Internet. The piano is my favorite instrument hopefully I will learn to play one day, but the combination of the low keys and this girls voice made the lyrics so moving. I challenge you at the end of the post to watch the video and not get chills. 

The lyrics are as follows: 

You shout it loud, but I can't hear a word you say 
I'm talking loud, not saying much 
I'm criticized, but all your bullets ricochet
you shoot me down, but I get up 

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose 
fire away, fire away 
ricochet, you take your aim 
fire away, fire away 
you shoot me down, but I won't fall 
I am titanium 
you shoot me down, but I won't fall 
I am titanium 

Cut me down, but it's you who'll have further to fall 
Ghost town and haunted love 
Raise your voice, sticks and stones may break my bones 
I'm talking loud, not saying much 

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose 
fire away, fire away 
ricochet, you take your aim 
fire away, fire away 
you shoot me down, but I won't fall
I am titanium 
you shoot me down, but I won't fall 
I am titanium 

I am titanium 

I am titanium 

Stone hard, machine gun 
Fired at the ones who run 
Stone hard, as bulletproof glass 

You shoot me down, but I won't fall 
I am titanium 
You shoot me down, but I won't fall 
I am titanium 
You shoot me down, but I won't fall 
I am titanium 
You shoot me down, but I won't fall 


The great thing about songs is that they  can be interpreted however you like. To me this song is motivational in the sense that the world is going to suck sometimes, and to make sense out of the shit that happens and the shit that people do will lead you to a dead end. The key is to keep getting up, no matter what life hands you, don't stay down and accept it, don't feel sorry for yourself, get up and fight back. This is present in the first few lyrics of the song:

I'm criticized, but all your bullets ricochet
you shoot me down, but I get up 


This lyric moves the song into the chorus where the underlying theme is portrayed:

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose 
fire away, fire away 
ricochet, you take your aim 
fire away, fire away 
you shoot me down, but I won't fall 
I am titanium 
you shoot me down, but I won't fall 
I am titanium 

Be bulletproof. Don't let actions of others, words of others, and any negative  shit that can compromise who you are bother you. Let all those enemies fire away because you won't fall because you refuse to.

The takeaway here is that no matter how bad things get, no matter how beat up you are, how broken you may feel... Don't let it win! Get up and fight back. Everyone has it in them to be amazing. Life will suck that's a given, people will suck that's a given; we have no control over that, but what we do have is the ability to surround ourselves with people who won't let us fall in times of peril. If you surround yourself with enough of those people you will eventually believe in your ability to be Titanium! 

Shoot me down... I won't fall


-Baugh

No comments:

Post a Comment